Ohio School Board Association (OSBA) is a state consulting and guidance
organization and is member driven. OSBA is only an advisory
organization. The legal authority to any political representative is
held by The Ohio Revised Code.
The Ohio School Boards Association is a private, not-for-profit statewide organization of public school boards. Founded in 1955, OSBA's purpose is to encourage and advance public education through local citizen responsibility. Truly member driven, OSBA's policies are determined by its members. Membership in OSBA is open to all public school boards.
While serving as a member of my board of education, I will accept the responsibility to improve public education.
To that end I will pledge to:
• Remember that my first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of all children attending our schools.
• Obey the laws of Ohio and the United States
• Respect the confidentiality of privileged information.
• Recognize that as an individual board member I have no authority to speak or act for the board.
• Work with other board members to establish and support effective policies.
• Delegate the authority for the administration of the schools to the superintendent and staff of the district.
• Encourage ongoing communications among board members, the board, students, staff, and the community.
• Render all decisions based upon the available facts and by applying my independent judgment, rather than succumbing to the influence of individuals or special interest groups.
• Make every effort to attend all board meetings.
• Become informed concerning the issues to be considered at each meeting.
• Understand that the board meeting is not the place to grandstand or spring surprises.
• Improve my boardmanship by studying educational issues and by participating in in-service programs.
• Support the employment of staff members based upon qualifications, and not by the exertion of influence.
• Cooperate with other board members and administrators to establish a system of regular and impartial evaluations of all staff.
• Avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof.
• Refrain from using my board position for the benefit of myself, family members or business associates.
• Express my personal opinions but, once the board has acted, accept the will of the majority.
Exact protocol for a board member resides directly with each individual member. While OSBA is advisory, it does not set board policy or procedures. OSBA merely makes suggestions. OSBA is an excellent resource for historic interpretation of the Ohio Revised Codes. OSBA is also an excellent resource for new and upcoming laws governing schools in the State of Ohio.
While these OSBA guidelines are currently 6 years old, I intend to follow all of the recommendations to the best of my ability. I believe in doing so, I will best serve the interests of the students. I use many means to educate myself concerning the issues affecting our district. I have asked many questions of numerous people and have researched various topics utilizing current, as well as historic literature. I believe that we need to embrace a new and energized means of problem solving. On my site, I intend to include appropriate fiscal information, and to relay information the community needs to make conscientious voting decisions. If anyone finds these facts or comments to be incorrect or incomplete, the public is invited to share their thoughts with me through the “Contact Me” option.
Feedback is always welcome. I will respond to all comments.